Monday, March 13, 2017

Teachers


Jesus says, “You call me Teacher and Lord—and you are right, for that is what I am.” John 13:13

REFLECTION:

As I read this passage this morning, the word that jumped out at me was "teacher." It made me think of my favorite teachers over the years, and what made them my favorites.

I have very fond memories of my sixth-grade teacher, Mrs. Bishop. What I remember is that it truly felt like she liked us...LOVED us even. She would still get exasperated with us when we were crazy, but I just remember thinking that she cared about us as people, and wanted us to succeed...not to boost test scores and school funding, but because she genuinely thought we mattered.

There was my band teacher in Junior High, Mr. Durham...same thing. It felt like he gave 110% every day, and pushed us to do the same, not to make the band program reflect well on him, but because he believed in us. My home life was pretty chaotic in Middle School, but Mr. Durham went above and beyond, sending the message that I mattered.

In retrospect, I don't believe it is possible for me to overestimate the impact that teachers like Mrs. Bishop and Mr. Durham had on my life. And while they, and many others like them, were good teachers, what set these two apart was that they genuinely loved their students. No doubt, living in an open-hearted way like that made each year's graduation difficult because they were saying goodbye to kids they cared about...but it made all the difference in the world, at least to this kid.

I am touched by the fact that as my teacher and Lord, Christ loves me deeply. Some teachers pass on knowledge; others offer you their whole life, and care about your whole life...and that makes all the difference in the world. Today, I am giving thanks that Christ is my teacher and Lord...and offers his whole life for mine.

I will move about in the world today in gratitude for Mrs. Bishop, Mr. Durham, and the Divine Love that daily enfolds me through people like them. May you and I offer the same to those we encounter today!

PRAYER:
God, we give thanks to you for the millions of ways your Love daily surrounds us; the ways we notice, and the ways we miss. Today, we give thanks for teachers that have touched our lives, and for the One who leads the way in loving us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment