Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Foundation


“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” Lamentations 3:24

Paul wrote: Through Jesus Christ we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Romans 5:2 (NIV)


REFLECTION:
"On what do you bet your life?" one of my seminary professors used to ask...

If we were to be honest, we bet our lives on a lot. The stock market. The bank account balance. The value of our home. The performance review at work. The parenting we try to master. The plans we have made. The skills we possess.

But all of those can change, and do. Often, without warning, a sweeping change will come and erase what we believe to be our foundation. A stock market tumble. A housing collapse. A mental or physical illness. An unexpected diagnosis. Whatever it is...the stuff that we spend 99% of our day on actually proves to be like shifting sand...not a suitable foundation because ultimately unreliable.

Today, what will be the foundation of my day? My skills? I hope not, because I'm feeling drained. My bank account balance? I hope not, because the "Trump rally" certainly hasn't reached us yet. My own ability to find peace and calm in the storm? I hope not, because today that seems fleeting.

What do I bet my day on? Today, it's God. It's only God. It's Love. It's Peace. It's things I don't create or control. The Lord is my portion...I will be filled by that. The Lord is my foundation...I will stand on that, and place my hope in the one thing that will not shift with the winds of change.

PRAYER:
We thank you that regardless of today’s circumstances, we are assured that your presence will sustain us. We commit this day to you and ourselves to your care. Amen.*

*Prayer taken from the Moravian Daily Texts

No comments:

Post a Comment