Monday, March 27, 2017

A Rocky Path


The Lord will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber. Psalm 121:3 (NIV)

Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught Peter, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” Matthew 14:31 (NKJV)


REFLECTION:
On Sunday afternoon, my daughter and I attended a presentation by her girt scout pack on how to prepare for a long hike. The presentation focused on the pack, camping supplies, you name it.


Listening, I was taken back to my own scouting days and similar presentations. Every single year, my scout troop would hike the Grand Canyon, and we would do several practice hikes beforehand to get everyone ready.

One of the things we often talked about was good footwear. Hiking socks, moleskin for when a blister begins to form, and hiking boots with good tread so you didn't slip on the rocky paths. But, one of our scout masters warned us, no matter how good your footwear is, you will still slip sometimes...and "that's why you never hike alone," I remember him saying. "Because if you fall, there is someone there to help."

No matter what I do right today, there will still be the possibility that I will slip and fall. No matter how prepared I am for today, mistakes will come; unexpected changes will come; temptations, surprises, you name it...the path ahead is not perfectly straight, nor is it perfectly smooth.

That's why I don't walk alone. And neither do you. Today, take comfort in the fact that the one who caught Peter catches you; take comfort in the ancient words of Psalm 121: "The Lord will not let your foot slip."

PRAYER:
When we are frightened, we cry out to you. Thank you for your strong hand which lifts us up and gives us a reason to go on. May we walk today in that assurance. Amen.*

*Prayer taken from the Moravian Daily Texts

No comments:

Post a Comment