Thursday, March 30, 2017

Commandments and Daily Life


Moses said, “You must diligently observe everything that I command you; do not add to it or take anything from it.” Deuteronomy 12:32

Jesus says, “If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” Matthew 19:17

REFLECTION:
The commandments are too easily seen as a checklist. But they are so much more.

In his famous "Sermon on the Mount," Jesus re-frames the commandments and actually makes them harder to "check off" as though we have completed them.

He says things like, "You have heard that it was said...'do not murder'...but I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgement; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, 'You fool', you will be liable to the hell of fire." (Matthew 5:21-22).

How many of us have, at some point, been angry with someone else? How many of us have, intentionally or unintentionally, insulted someone? How many of us have, in words all our own, called someone a "fool"? All of us have done this. So, even though we may not have actually murdered someone, we have still broken this commandment according to Jesus.

I believe what Jesus is deconstructing here is our tendency to see the commandments as rules to check off rather than all-encompassing guidelines for living. It isn't as though, just because I have not murdered anyone, that commandment does not apply to me. I cannot take that commandment away from the list of guidelines for my life (see today's Deuteronomy passage above). No, that commandment still has value for me beyond the actual act of murder. Martin Luther would say it means I am called to want what's best for my neighbor in all circumstances. I can ask that God tames my tongue, removes my anger at others, and guides my speech so it builds others up. In that way, even the commandment about murder becomes a guiding force for every day of my life.

Today, may we follow Christ's lead and see the commandments, not as restrictive rules from an angry parental God, but as guidelines toward a healthy life. May we see them for the gift they are, and the gift they can be, if only we ask that God use them to guide today. Specifically today, I am going to ask that God remove any anger I carry towards others; that God help guide my speech so it is not intentionally or unintentionally insulting, and that God move in me so I want what's best even for those who have hurt me.

PRAYER:
We commit ourselves to your word, O Lord. May we live with its claims upon our lives—to love you and our neighbor. May we, through our obedient actions, usher in your kingdom. Amen.*

*Prayer taken from the Moravian Daily Texts

No comments:

Post a Comment