Thursday, March 9, 2017

Shielded


He is a shield for all who take refuge in him. Psalm 18:30

Paul wrote: The Lord is faithful; he will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one. 2 Thessalonians 3:3

REFLECTION:

When I visited Papua New Guinea with my Lutheran Campus Ministry in college, the men in our group had the chance to be trained in the use of a shield and spear. There is a special area of the village in which the women aren't allowed; where the men pass on to the boys the things taught to them about how to fight. I remember being handed the shield and being struck at just how large it was. Not much shorter than me, if I crouched behind it, it completely covered and protected my entire body.

That is the image I have in my mind as I read the first passage above.

I have no idea what today will bring, but I know I have been handed a shield large enough to shelter me. I know that I can genuinely take refuge in God's care for me. I know this shield is faithful, and will guard me. I know that no part of me is exposed.

May you know the same thing today; that no matter what today brings in its mix of blessing and challenge, YOU...your core, your identity...YOU...will be guarded. You can take refuge.

PRAYER:
God, thank you for being our shield, our comfort, our peace. Help us to trust no matter what happens today, you will guard our hearts, our spirits, and our lives. Open our eyes to see anyone we pass today who we might be called to shield as well. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment