Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Work from rest, or rest from work?



I have to tell you; these morning devotions have changed my life.


Don't get me wrong; as a pastor, much of my life has always been steeped in the words of scripture. I live in these stories as I prepare Bible studies, Discipleship Academy lessons, sermons...


...but the biggest shift that has happened for me is about these few words:


Do we work from rest...or rest from work?


Previously, I started each day with immediate energy and focus...from my first waking moments, I was productive...making lists of what needed to be accomplished that day, then tackling items (often many at once) all day until I finally collapsed into bed at night, completely spent and exhausted. I affectionately (or not so affectionately) referred to these days as my "hamster wheel days" because they always felt like no matter how fast I ran, I wasn't getting anywhere.


Sure, I accomplished a lot on days like that, but it like the focus was endless productivity. Then, when I came home, all I could think about was how I wanted to rest from that frantic work.


Now, ironically, I have more energy...more focus...but it is because I start each day in the realization that today, whatever comes, is not actually about me.


When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who watch over my way. Psalm 142:3 (NIV)


Six months ago, it would have seemed strange to me to start the day with the recognition that when my spirit grows faint, God watches over my way. The time of the day I feel the LEAST faint is first thing in the morning! That's the time of the day I feel MOST ready to tackle the hamster wheel!


Now, it feels like drinking from a deep well to say, from minute one, this day is not about me...and if that's true, then even the times when MY strength/patience/energy run out, God watches over my way. God will provide what's needed for today.


My hope is that this knowledge is pure gift to you as well...that whatever things others expect out of you today (or whatever you expect out of yourself), you start this day with awareness of what is being poured in to you first.


"...and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us." Romans 5:5


Today, let us together work from a place of rest and refreshment, rather than exhaust every resource and collapse tonight in order to rest from work.


PRAYER:
Omnipotent God, why do we wait so long to turn to you? Remind us that you are watching when we suffer physical weakness. You are aware of our spiritual struggles. You see our failures and know our disappointments and our sadness. But when we lean on your strong shoulders, you both console us and equip us to offer that same loving care to others. Amen.*


*Prayer taken from the Moravian Daily Texts

No comments:

Post a Comment