Friday, September 16, 2016

Adopted. I am home.


This morning, I am pondering the beauty of both the act, and the language of, adoption.


This is not to ignore the complex feelings surrounding adoption, both for a child and for parents...
but as a pastor, I find the language of adoption to be an incredibly beautiful way to express the fact that God chooses us simply because we are important and valuable enough to choose.


I am so grateful to the families in my various churches who have opened my eyes to the ways our default language often unintentionally marginalizes those who have adoption as part of their family story. It is something to be gentle with on days like Mother's Day; something to be aware of when creating the language on a registration form or liability waiver. These families have helped me to see that for too long, we have let language familiar to birth parents be our default.


But, far from being some "politically correct" game where one is paranoid to offend, I actually think this gift of awareness opens us up to a deeper beauty and truth in the Bible.


Romans 8:15-16 says we have not received a spirit of slavery, but a spirit of adoption...so we can cry out "Abba!" (which is "Daddy" in Aramaic). When we cry out "Daddy!" it is the very Spirit of God in our voices proclaiming we are children of God, and joint heirs with Christ!


The very first verses of Ephesians make it clear that we have been destined for adoption, and have had the riches of God's grace lavished on us!


Isn't that beautiful language?


Destined. Grace lavished on us. Full heirs of the promise.


As Gentiles, we are not the "naturally born children" of Israel. But that doesn't mean we are second class citizens! In the language of the New Testament, adoption is not a marginalized state, second-best and always falling below the preferred state of being naturally born. It is the exact opposite! Adoption is MORE beautiful, because by choosing us, God proclaims we are valuable enough to choose.


All of these thoughts came pouring into my heart this morning because of this verse, assigned for today:


They shall be my people and I will be their God, in faithfulness and in righteousness. Zechariah 8:8


Today, revel in the fact that you have been adopted. You have been chosen precisely because you are valuable and beautiful enough to choose. What a thought to start the day.


Thanks be to God, who chooses me even when I don't choose God, and who is faithful to me, even when I don't choose to be faithful in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment