Monday, September 19, 2016

An Open Door


Gratitude, I am coming to believe, is an open door for faith...
especially when I am feeling like I am in the dark of worry, stress, or pain...


When I am feeling grateful, I sense God's presence more often.
When I am feeling grateful, I am more likely to wear my faith on my sleeve.
When I am feeling grateful, I am moved to a sense of praise, because I know the blessings in my life are not things I have created myself.


The scriptures for today paint a picture of what it looks like when gratitude and hope overflow into our relationships.


My tongue shall tell of your righteousness and of your praise all day long. Psalm 35:28


Anna worshiped with fasting and prayer night and day. At that moment she came, and began to praise God and to speak about the child to all who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem. Luke 2:37–38


I don't think these passages are urging us to get a bullhorn, stand on a street corner, and tell others what God has done for us.


I think they are nudging us to a way of living in which God is more present in our minds, in our speech, in our actions...


and simply put, I believe this begins with gratitude.


Today, I am grateful for the breath that fills my lungs;
for the 11-year-old I just sent out the door to her early morning middle school bus;
for the 9-year-old still asleep;
for the spouse who has sacrificed, loved, and lived alongside me for 13 years now;
and for the God who has so richly blessed me.


May these thoughts be in my heart and on my tongue all day long!


What are you grateful for today? Maybe beginning there will open the door for your faith as well.


PRAYER:
Blessed Redeemer, shore up our courage so that we can better share our faith. Give us confidence to tell your story. Provide the words to describe your grace. Increase our love as we live in your service. Amen.*


*Prayer taken from the Moravian Daily Texts

No comments:

Post a Comment