Thursday, December 22, 2016

Shining



Psalm 34:4-6
4I sought the Lord, and he answered me, and delivered me from all my fears.
5Look to him, and be radiant; so your faces shall never be ashamed.
6This poor soul cried, and was heard by the Lord, and was saved from every trouble.

REFLECTION:

When I was younger, I was fascinated by outer space. I suppose if I’m honest, I’d have to admit that I still am. I remember learning about the planets and being interested enough in Jupiter (because it was the largest, I guess) that I wrote the observatory in Flagstaff, AZ for more Jupiter info. I also remember being fascinated by the moon and wondering how it could light up when everything around it was dark. Well, we all know the secret I didn’t know as a kid; that the moon does NOT create it’s own light, but simply reflects the sun’s light.

Who would have thought such a simple lesson would later inform me about the true nature of our relationship with God. In the above psalm, the writer says “look to [the Lord], and be radiant.” When you read that, remember the words we speak at the end of every service; “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you…” Indeed, if we shine it is because we were first shined on. If we love, it is because we were first loved. If we serve those in need, it is because we were first served when we were in need.

In two days, as we gather on Christmas Eve, we are going to talk about joy...and how it is not something we have to come up with ourselves. Instead, we simply reflect the joy that we see. I can't wait to gather with you all on Christmas Eve and sing those ancient words... "Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to you, O Israel!"

A reminder of our worship schedule:
CHRISTMAS EVE: 3:00, 5:00, 8:00 PM
CHRISTMAS DAY: 9:00 AM
NEW YEAR'S DAY: 9:00 AM

PRAYER:
God of grace, reveal your love in the world – to us, and through us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment