Thursday, December 1, 2016

Drifting Over the Center Line


Keep hold of instruction; do not let go; guard her, for she is your life. Proverbs 4:13

The aim of such instruction is love that comes from a pure heart, a good conscience, and sincere faith. 1 Timothy 1:5

I don't think much these days about the "Driver's Ed" courses I had to take in High School.

I have been driving so long that it is like second nature to me. I literally never think about the driving rules I was taught back in High School.

However, in my distracted, hurried rush from activity to activity, appointment to appointment, I no doubt break a fair amount of those rules on a daily basis. Just yesterday, I had a moment that could have turned out much worse, as I fumbled for an item in the passenger seat and began to drift toward oncoming traffic. I am deeply grateful I didn't fumble for long, and that by grace that didn't play out differently.

I have no doubt that if my Driver's Ed instructor had been in the car with me yesterday, I would have failed miserably...and not just in that distracted moment.

Likewise, I've been doing this "life" thing long enough that I just assume "I've got this." I know the 10 commandments. I know Jesus' all-encompassing law about loving God and neighbor. I know I should get enough sleep, eat well, exercise, and let the little things go. But in the arrogance that comes from familiarity, I just assume I know what I'm doing and don't often spend time thinking about those basic instructions on a daily basis.

I will spend part of today, as I spent part of yesterday, running financial projections to aid in the budgeting process at our congregation. While this is good due diligence, it is always a temptation to worry. This would be a mistake just as grievous as fumbling for items in the passenger seat and drifting over the center line.

This morning, the basic instruction I need to remember come in Jesus' words from Matthew 6: "Do not worry." He goes on to state the obvious (that needs to be said precisely because it is NOT so obvious to us): "Can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life?"

These words, and so many others in the Bible that provide for our guidance have one aim (as the 1 Timothy reading reminds us): LOVE. The aim of this guidance is that love be born in me.

What will you be doing today? What instructions do you need to keep hold of and guard? Where does love need to be born in you today?

As we live this day together, that will be my simple prayer for you who read this devotion; that wherever you need it today, love be born in you as you hold close to the guidance you need.


PRAYER:
O wondrous Source of all knowledge and truth, instill in us a love and yearning for You. Amen.*

*Prayer adapted from the Moravian Daily Texts

No comments:

Post a Comment