Monday, January 2, 2017

Something We Have Heard a Lot


Paul wrote: When the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy. Titus 3:4–5

REFLECTION:
Every cliche started out as something that was true, and usually as a creative way to speak that truth. The first time someone heard someone else say, "All for one, and one for all!" it probably had quite an impact. The first time someone said, "money doesn't grow on trees, you know!" the person listening was probably jolted by the funny way of reminding them that money is limited. But, then these phrases got used so much (mostly because they WERE creative and true) that they started to lose their power. They no longer shock us, or make us think...we just think, "meh, I've heard that before..."

It might sound like a sacrilegious thing to say that parts of the Bible can become cliched, but I believe they can be when they are spoken over and over, and never re-framed into something that catches our attention to hear the real truth behind it.
 
I believe this has happened with the thought in the passage above. The message is profoundly true: God loves you, not because of anything you have done, but because of his mercy. BUT, we have to keep discovering new ways to speak this deep truth, in order for it to retain its power in our minds and hearts.

A few years ago, I learned a new parenting trick from a friend; affirm you children, not just when they DO something, but intentionally affirm who they are at a time when they aren't doing anything. We live in a culture in which the message is clear; we are valued for what we produce. We don't even have to say it to each other anymore; it is just "in the water." We know at a deep level that we are valued for what we produce. This parenting trick turns that on its ear by telling your children you are proud of them for WHO THEY ARE, not what they DO.

So, I've done this a number of times now. When scratching my kids backs before bed, I will tell them, "I am proud of you." The first few times, it threw them..."proud of what, Dad? What did I do?" My answer..."nothing...I am just proud of who you are. You are kind, smart, and strong..."

Now, my challenge is to only do this so often...so it retains its impact.

Today, while writing this devotion, I decided to sit still for 3 minutes and breathe. Not DO anything, just breathe. And with each breath, the thought is: "THIS is what God loves. ME. Not what I do, what I produce, my strengths, my weaknesses. Just who I am...that is what God loves."

Try it. Be still. Don't DO anything but breathe and read the passage above again.

YOU...are...saved.

And it isn't because of anything you do.
It's because YOU...are...loved.

PRAYER:
God, help us to be still and know that you love us for who you created us to be, not what we create or do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment