Thursday, November 3, 2016

The End of the World


My Mother-in-Law never thought she would see it. A life-long Cubs fan, but being born just a couple of years after the last time the Cubs were even IN the World Series, she never thought she would see this day. In the grand scheme of things, I am still a "new" Cubs fan, having been "converted" by my wife 15 years ago, but it is unbelievable to our family that somehow, the Chicago Cubs won the World Series. Forget the curse of the billy goat...after 108 years, it happened. There are no words for the euphoria in our house, or in Chicago. It's all tied up with memories of Harry Caray, Ernie Banks, grandparents who taught their grandchildren how to keep score, the Ivy, the old scoreboard, and the many friends and family members who didn't make it to see this day. If you aren't from Chicago and want to try to understand the emotions, just listen to Eddie Vedder's song "All The Way."

Among pastors, the jokes have been plentiful already. One headline I read a couple of days ago said, "Second Coming of Christ Scheduled for Game 7 of the World Series." If somehow, the Cubs won the World Series, we were all sure Jesus was coming back. The end of the world would be at hand!

All jokes aside, the end of the world does not (apparently) look like the Cubs winning, no matter how amazing that was. In the Bible, we actually get a pretty clear snapshot of what the end of the world will look like:

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. Nothing accursed will be found there any more. But the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him; they will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And there will be no more night; they need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign for ever and ever. (Revelation 22:1-5)

This vision of heaven stands in stark contrast to the world we inhabit. We know of water as a limited resource; here it is the very throne of God. We know of trees that only produce fruit part of the year; here, the tree of life bears fruit during all 12 months. We know of a world torn by war, hunger, division, and partisan tribalism; here, the leaves of the tree have one purpose - they are for the healing of the nations. This is the end of the book of Revelation - a reminder that God's love is what has the final say.

This passage became absolutely central to me this last summer while I was on sabbatical. So central, in fact, that I currently have a tattoo artist drawing up a design that will be placed on my right forearm in just a few weeks. (I share this simply so there are fewer of you who are surprised when it happens!) For me, this vision of how things will be in the end shapes how I live now, which is the purpose of apocalyptic literature in the first place. When I am weak, I am called to linger by this river and let the leaves of the tree heal me. When I am strong, I am called to be part of this healing for others.

My prayer for you today, as you read this, is that if you are feeling weakened by the trials of life, you have the courage to linger by the river for a bit and let the healing flow to you. Take time in silence. Take time to pray and be still, as Christ's Spirit prays in you with sighs too deep for words. If you are feeling strong, my prayer is that you take the courageous step of reaching out in kindness to someone you know who is struggling...and in that way, you will BE one of the leaves of the tree, falling on those who need Christ's healing.

PRAYER:

God of living water, heal me where I am hurt, strengthen me where I am weak, and send me where I am needed. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment