Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Remembering



 Psalm 77:11-15

11 I will call to mind the deeds of the Lord;
   I will remember your wonders of old.
12 I will meditate on all your work,
   and muse on your mighty deeds.
13 Your way, O God, is holy.
   What god is so great as our God?
14 You are the God who works wonders;
   you have displayed your might among the peoples.
15 With your strong arm you redeemed your people,
   the descendants of Jacob and Joseph.

Reflection:

As we turn to the Holiday season, I have a special memory of a visit to a home-bound member from years ago I want to share with you... (for those of you who knew Arlene Thiel, she is the woman I was visiting...)

It was around this time of year, and the first thing we talked about was her Christmas tree. She explained to me that her family had always gotten a large, real tree each year. “It’s the smell of pine, pastor – it’s just not Christmas without that smell.” That year, however, her advancing years had forced her to change the tradition. In her living room stood a small artificial tree. “Real trees are too much work for me now,” she explained. “But the ornaments are the same…”

For the next 45 minutes, we looked at those ornaments. Some were from trips she and her husband had taken when he was still alive. Some were hand-made creations given by grandchildren. Each ornament brought with it a beautiful memory, and a smile. The more I listened, the more I got the sense I was in a holy moment; blessed to be present, as one of God’s saints remembered the gifts in her life.

“Remembered” is a common word in the Bible. Over and over and over again, the scriptures tell us that God “remembers” the covenants he makes; with Noah, with Abraham, with Moses, and with us in Christ. God remembers the covenants, no matter what traditions change, or what traditions remain the same. God remembers the covenants, and smiles on us and on our world.

Today, it is my prayer that you and I may be filled with the same sense of memory. Let us, as the Psalm above says, “call to mind the deeds of the Lord,” and “…remember [God’s] wonders of old.” And may we be filled with the same sweet memories and profound sense of gratitude that I had the honor of witnessing around a tree that day many years ago...

Prayer: God of every age, even when everything changes, your love stays the same. Help us to pause and give thanks for your gifts today, that we might feel the simple joy that comes with gratitude and hope. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment