Monday, November 14, 2016

Drawing Near


This is what the Lord said, “Through those who are near me I will show myself holy, and before all the people I will be glorified.” Leviticus 10:3

The word that jumps out at me in this morning's reading is "near." And the first thought, as I begin this new week; am I drawing near to God? Is God drawing near to me?

I am a physically affectionate kind of person. When someone means something to me, I want to hug them. This is just how I am wired...it is how I was raised. I respect those of you who do not connect with others primarily in this way, but I have to be honest that this is the way I connect with others.

This is particularly true in my family. When my kids are sick, even though it is not in my self-interest to do so, I pull them in close. I will hold them when they are sad, or sick, or angry, or happy. It is one of the primary ways I express my love for someone...by drawing near to them.

This is probably why, as I contemplate the beginning of this week, I find myself wanting to draw near to God. Spending a few moments in Scripture as each day begins is part of how this happens. Deep breaths and prayers for peace is part of how this happens.

However, I have to admit there are many times when I am not choosing the things that draw me near to God. I find comfort in the idea that even in these moments, God draws near to me.

Today, my simple prayer is that we all draw near to God, and that through that, God's glory may be seen in us and through us. Whatever that looks like for you today...draw near to God. Take a deep breath. Pray for a friend...or an enemy. Ask God to give you the peace that passes all understanding. Then, God will be glorified in our life, and in our love for each other.

PRAYER:
God, draw us near to your love. Give us the courage to reach out, to pray, to set aside time in our schedule to be still. Help us to know today that you are God, and we are not. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment