Friday, February 10, 2017

The Song of Hope


I will delight in my people; no more shall the sound of weeping be heard in Jerusalem, or the cry of distress. Isaiah 65:19

Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. Romans 12:12

REFLECTION:
As I ponder God's gifts in my life, I think hope may be the greatest.

As I ponder how hope works in my life, I think of the famous poem by Emily Dickinson:

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all

When things seem insurmountable, I trust that God is with me and that I am never alone...and hope sings.

When darkness surrounds me, either externally or internally, I trust that Light always cuts through the darkness...and hope sings.

When anxiety or fear threaten, a deep breath reminds me that God no further away from me than my breathing...and hope sings.

Today, whatever you are facing, trust that the Spirit perches in your soul. Trust that the song continues, even without your words. Trust that you will be given the strength to be patient in suffering, to persevere in prayer, and ultimately to rejoice in hope. God delights in you, and the promise is clear; weeping may come with the night, but joy comes in the morning.

PRAYER:
God, quiet our fears and troubles enough for us to hear your Spirit singing its hopeful song in our souls. Re-create our trust in you, O Lord, so we can sing along. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment