Thursday, February 16, 2017

Knowing Time Is Brief...


He knows how we were made; he remembers that we are dust. Psalm 103:14

Jesus says, “Because I live, you also will live.” John 14:19

The days of our life are seventy years, or perhaps eighty, if we are strong; ...they are soon gone, and we fly away. Psalm 90:10

And maybe that candle shines for only the briefest time
In a jack-o-lantern’s heart
Oh, but one goblin’s smile should make it all well worth while
You know you might even see the starlight
And knowing that time is brief, makes it that much more sweet
When you have a jack-o-lantern’s heart
"John's Garden" by Peter Mayer

REFLECTION:
There is ancient, deep wisdom in the Scriptures. Much of it points us toward the twin truths of humility and gratitude; humility about our own abilities, and gratitude for the gifts of Life, Love, Light, and Salvation.

Today's passages are about humility.

God knows how we are made; God remembers we are merely dust, organized and animated for maybe 70 or 80 years before we fly away in the winds of time and change.

I am keenly aware of this truth this week, standing as I am between the funerals of two dear saints at our congregation. Both have rich stories; countless memories and moments, countless times when the fact that they were here blessed and touched those around them. This is a breath-taking gift when you really think about it. Both of these individuals died in their late 80s or early 90s. That means there were something like 90 years of breaths, heartbeats, hugs, tears, laughter, challenge, and love. Sit and think about that for a moment. It's incredible. Now consider how many years you have been here. Consider how difficult it would be for anyone to summarize your life. Like the dear people we remember this week, your life too is a string of moments that have left their ripple effects on the lives around you. You have lived and loved in a way that means the world is different because you are here. This is stunning, and a reminder of how God uses each life to echo divine love into the world.

I included the lyrics from the Peter Mayer song above because I think it voices the beauty I see in the Biblical call to humility. The image is a fun one; of a jack-o-lantern, given a light for a short time, knowing that time will soon pass. But the time is sweet when children in goblin outfits smile and laugh. It's a beautiful thought; rather that sit in the pumpkin patch to rot away, why not take the chance and be lit to see for a few glorious nights?

For some, the thought that we are only here for 70 or 80 years may seem a depressing thought; but for me, it means the time we have here is sweet, and needs to be savored and treasured. If I knew I'd have endless sunrises, I'd have no reason to enjoy them. If I knew I would be with my children forever, I'd have no reason to really drink in the beautiful moments with them. In a strange but deeply true way, the fact that my life is limited makes it beautiful and worthy of my full attention and presence.

Today, may you drink in whatever comes your way. May you treasure the moments you are given with friends or family as precious and important because they won't last forever. May you be lit with the Life of Christ...and LIVE today for the gift it is.

Prayer:
God, light your life in our hearts. Help us be honest, and loving, and real with each other. We thank you for the time we have today; open our eyes to the gift today will be, and make us a gift to each other. Amen.

Footnote:
If you are interested in Peter Mayer's music, please take time to check out www.petermayer.net - the sample you see above is just a small taste of an independent musician whose music has touched my heart and my life in many ways with its depth and beauty. He is one of the only artists I have in my music library of whom I can honestly say; whichever album you buy, you'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment