Monday, October 17, 2016

It is Coming Anyway


 His greatness will reach to the ends of the earth. Micah 5:4 (NIV)
-
Your kingdom come. Matthew 6:10
-
By the tender mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us (Luke 1:78)
-
As I read the passages above this morning, one word jumped out at me.
-
WILL.
-
As in, God's greatness WILL reach to the ends of the earth. It isn't just that we pray it does, hope it does, trust that maybe someday, God's love will conquer the brokenness of the world if we are lucky, and if we work hard enough to do our part.
-
No, it will happen. With our without us.
-
God's Kingdom will come. The question is simply, are we preparing ourselves to be a part of it?
-
The same is true for this Monday morning. The pre-dawn light is already peeking through the trees as I write this. The light WILL come. With every passing second, the dawn becomes brighter. Monday is going to happen, with or without me.
-
The question is; am I preparing to be a part of it?
-
Sure, I could sit in my pajamas, stay inside, maybe go back to bed soon...I could simply choose not to be a part of Monday (a tempting thought)...but Monday's going to happen...
-
I think I'll get dressed. Wake up my son and have breakfast with him. I think I'll pack up my things and dive into the full and important day of ministry ahead, because God has beautiful things in store for me and for others today, and I simply don't want to miss them.
-
This is why our church serves in the community. This is why we believe we are called to be with those in need; not because we think by OUR actions we are MAKING the Kingdom come. By our actions, we are choosing to be a part of the Kingdom that's already coming.
-
Our challenge is to stay actively engaged, and to invite others to be a part of the "dawn from on high" that is breaking upon the world.
-
I think these words are challenging all of us this morning to get dressed, pack up our things, and actively participate in the Kingdom that's coming. If you have fallen out of the habits of worship, or prayer...make the choice to return...there are beautiful things in store in the Kingdom, and you do not want to miss them. If you have a habit of regular presence in worship, and you notice someone you know who has simply fallen out of the habit of coming, call them. Ask if there is something you can keep in your prayers for their family. Invite them to return to worship. Invite them to step into the Kingdom that's coming already anyway.
-
Can't write more. Monday's coming. Time to get ready. God has blessed this day, and will bless me through my participation in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment