Friday, October 7, 2016

Do We Love to Tell the Story?


After that whole generation had been gathered to their ancestors, another generation grew up, who knew neither the Lord nor what he had done for Israel. Judges 2:10 (NIV)
-
Simeon prayed: “My eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.” Luke 2:30–32
-
When Mary and Joseph bring the infant Jesus to the temple to offer sacrifices according to custom, Simeon scoops up the baby in his arms and knows he is holding the future hope of the world. This one will be a light to the nations...and glory for Israel. Simeon loudly proclaims for all to hear.
-
In the Judges reading above, we get a glimpse of what it looks like when there aren't people like Simeon around. An entire generation grows up who neither know the Lord nor what he has done for the sake of the world.
-
I find myself wondering today...about how we pass on this story to our children.
-
The first step is being immersed in the story ourselves. Do we take a few minutes daily to be in the Word, as these daily devotions have challenged me to do? Do we worship regularly...not because we "get something out of it," but because God is worthy of praise? Do we tell our children about how God freed the slaves in Egypt, and still stands for freedom and grace?
-
If we don't do these things, it is time to start. I was just told by a parent in our congregation the other day how every single one of her daughter's friends at school...every single one...considers themselves an "atheist." This student is the only one in her circle of friends who acknowledges a source of Love bigger than themselves. And I can guarantee you many of those "atheist" friends are from homes in which the parents would identify themselves as "Christian," but likely don't talk about it with their children, or spend time as a family in worship, prayer, or conversation about deep things.
-
I don't think this is a problem because I fear for the institution of the church. I think this is a problem because that mindset will not serve those students well in their adult lives. When storms come, and they will...these students need to know there is a greater Reality holding them...that they are not alone.
-
I know Lutherans tend to be "shy" about their faith. I know we don't want to be lumped in with "those Christians" who stand on street corners with their bullhorns telling others they are going to burn in hell. But I also know that if we don't speak up and share why we think God's grace matters, our children will "neither know the Lord nor what he has done for us."
-
Let me suggest a simple way to begin. Before anything else, answer for yourself, "why do I think God's grace in Jesus makes a difference in my life or in the world?" Spend some time with that question. Don't be embarrassed if the answer isn't immediately obvious - reach out to myself or someone else you trust to think through it with you. But before we can become like Simeon and tell others about the hope that is in us, we have to clearly identify it for ourselves.
-
I'm going to leave you with the first verse of the famous hymn...may God grant us the courage to tell the story...
-
I love to tell the story...of unseen things above.
-
Of Jesus and his glory...of Jesus, and his love.
-
I love to tell the story...because I know it's true.
-
It satisfies my longings...as nothing else could do.
-
I love to tell the story...it will be my theme in glory.
-
To tell the old, old story...of Jesus and his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment