Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Making a House a Home



We all know the difference between a house and a home...
or at least we think we do.

As I try to put that often-used phrase to words, I find it tough to describe the difference.

A house is a place; a building; 2x4s and drywall; an empty shell.

A home is rest, peace, beauty, joy, comfort, shelter, safety.
It is so much more about WHO is there than WHAT is there, at least for me.

This makes me think that just about anywhere could be "home" if the right people were there.

Jesus answered, “Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.” John 14:23

The familiar language of "inviting Christ into your heart" has been, at least for me, so over-used in some Christian circles that I don't find it particularly useful, unless I apply to it these correctives:

1. Christianity's focus is loving Christ, not following rules
Loving relationships don't become loving by following rules. I didn't look at the list of vows I made to my wife as a set of rules I needed to follow to do this thing called "love." I am deeply in love with her, so those vows are rules I want to follow. But love came first. Love always comes first. Today's passage makes this clear. Our first focus is loving Christ, and that means focusing on loving what is lovable in him; the way he lived graciously; the way he challenged rules that blocked love; the way he associated with those ostracized by others.

2. When love is the focus, any place can be "home."
I appreciate the quote in the graphic above. It says, "Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful."

In my book, Christ's presence in my heart brings love, makes me more loving, and makes any place feel like home. Christ makes my heart, my life, my home...beautiful.

Thanks for moving in, Jesus. Make yourself at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment