Wednesday, April 20, 2011

To Be Schooled In the Ways of Love




(click link to read passage)

Reflection:
Dr. Mahmoudi was his name. He was my professor for Sociology 101 my very first semester in college. I still consider him to be one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. Sure, he had more degrees and more initials after his name than I could count…but that’s not what impressed me. It was his willingness to continue learning…it was his outlook on life; that every day teaches us something new. It was as though all of his education had given him a healthy humility about the limitations of human wisdom.

That was probably the most profound lesson he could have passed on to me. Sure, I had to finish both a Bachelor’s and a Master’s Degree to become a pastor – but my foolishness is even more evident to me now than it was before I began.

Indeed, as Paul explains today, the profound wisdom of God looks like foolishness to us. A God sacrificing himself to save a stubborn and stiff-necked people? Preposterous. One death crushing the power of death forever? Nonsense. A servant-savior? Who ever heard of such a thing?

This Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday we will be schooled in the ways of love. More profound than any theological discourse is the silence we encounter at the foot of the cross. And more powerful than all the world’s knowledge is the Easter Dawn.

Prayer: Foolish Father, teach us to be wise as you are wise that we might boast, not in our own accomplishments or wisdom, but in your love working through us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment