Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dawn is Breaking





Reflection:

I sing to my kids all the time.
But I’ve never sung like that.
In the passage linked above, you heard one of the greatest songs of praise in the New Testament, as Zechariah sings to his new little boy, who we will later meet as John the Baptist.

About halfway through his praise song, he starts singing directly to his son…
“You, my child, will be called the prophet of the Most High, for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways…”

The most beautiful line, however, is right near the end. In it, Zechariah – priest, father, prophet – uses one of the most beautiful images in all of scripture to describe what Jesus will be for the world;

“The dawn from on high will break upon us…”

Indeed, Jesus’ light breaks forth in the darkness of human brokenness.
Jesus’ light breaks forth in the darkness of human pain and suffering.
Jesus’ light even shines THROUGH the darkest human experience of death, shining all the way to the glory on the other side.

So, today, no matter how short winter makes your days, or how dark your everyday struggles feel, know that just as each morning brings the brightness of the sun, so each moment brings the brightness of the Son.

The dawn from high breaks upon us!

Prayer:
God of light, shine through my darkness today. Help me to see beyond the barriers right before me – guide my feet into the way of peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment